We actually sleep in our minivan quite often. Over the past 5 months I’d say we’ve slept in the van at least 6 times. There are occasions when a tent just isn’t practical. Wind storms, unseasonably cold weather, precipitation, sleeping right off the side of the highway, etc.
Check it out! Looks cozy right?
A couple of tips for sleeping 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog in a minivan:
Note: Max height in our family is 5′ 7″
- If you have stow’n go fold down the middle seats, if you don’t, leave the middle seats home.
- Pack all the loose stuff that floats around your van in a tote that can be thrown outside with the cooler and the car seats (or piled drivers seat) to make way for your sleeping transformation.
- Adult 1 sleeps in a hammock along the ceiling (see video above for installment).
- Adult 2 and Child 1 sleep on the floor. Fold out some sleeping pads, mattress foam or bouldering pad.
- Child 2 sleeps along the back bench.
- Dog sleeps on a sheet or pillow on the front passenger seat.
Thanks to Joe for agreeing to do this video. For the record, I was in the house bathing the kids who were both screaming their heads off (it was hair washing day). Not sure who got the short end of the stick on that…